Woodland Elementary rings in a new bell
Woodland Elementary rings in a new bell
Posted on 04/21/2016
Current and former Woodland Elementary students and staff gathered at Woodland during an assembly to rededicate a new bell on April 13.
 
The new bell replaces the original historic Woodland brass bell, which was stolen a few years ago. The original bell dated back to 1884 when Washington was still a territory.
 
The new bell was donated by Assistant Superintendent Casey Cox and his family. It had been in the Cox family for more than 50 years.
 
After being refinished, the new bell has a permanent place in the lobby at Woodland. The words “Education continues to ring true at Woodland Elementary” will be mounted on the wall near the bell.
 
The audience consisted of Woodland students and staff, district administrators, community members, and many past Woodland students and staff members.
 
Woodland sixth-grade students CeCe Sanchez, Max Tomlinson, David Debruler, Raven Clinch, Akaiyah Vine, and Nathan Smilonich read an excerpt from a poem, recited memories from former Woodland students and thanked the Cox family and everyone who made the project a success. 

In the audience were former Woodland students (from left): Mary Lou Martinson-Ericson,
Maudine Swalander-Rushton, Dorothy Swalander-Norris, Superintendent Tim Yeomans,
Janet Swalander-Aschenbrenner, Ed Swalander, and Susan Inman-Soros